In my humble option, the Bamboo Orchid is the most stunning plant that Lazy Flora has released to date. When I first got one of these, I was bowled over by just how many delicate flowers it featured, and later in the day I was so excited to learn that it has a beautifully delicate honey fragrance, which it releases early in the morning and late in the evening. This is an orchid that has it all.
In winter time, this plant requires less water, so you can probably get away with watering it thoroughly every 1-2 weeks, depending on the temperature of your home. This orchid requires a higher level of moisture all year round than phalenopsis orchids, so when you do water it, ensure the soil is soaked through, but do not allow it to stand in water.
This orchid grows mainly during summer and autumn. At this time of year, ensure the orchid receives plenty of water and stays reasonably moist. At these times of year, if your home is particularly dry, you might find it responds well to a light misting of water from a spray bottle in the morning.
You will get the most out of your Bamboo orchid if you place it in a position that gets lots of bright sunlight, but no direct sunlight, as this has the potential to burn the leaves and flowers. However, it will grow in any level of light.
Pruning and deadheading
Once your Bamboo orchid has finished flowering, cut the stems right down the to start of the leaves. The orchid will now enter a state of dormancy, where it gathers its strength ready to put forward more flowers later in the year. To encourage the orchid to bloom again, you can expose it to slightly cooler temperatures.
To stimulate productive growth of this orchid once it has finished flowering, use half the recommended amount of a high phosphoros orchid fertilizer. Do not fertilize this plant while it is in bloom.
Some fun facts about your Bamboo Orchid
- The formal name for the Bamboo orchid is Dendrobium Berry Oda.
- It is called the Bamboo orchid because of the appearance of the stems of the plant: they often look like bamboo.
- Each stem can produce up to 15 fragrant flowers, which can last up to two or three months.
- You will not find this orchid in the shops - it is a specialist orchid that is prized for its profuse flowering and beautiful honey scent.
I absolutely LOVE this orchid, and I think you will too! But we only have a limited supply, so grab yours quick before they're all gone!
- Delivery of one stunning, premium quality Bamboo orchid.
- This orchid has 9+ stems, with 5+ small flowers per stem, and has a delicate honey fragrance during the morning and evening (don't worry, it isn't overpowering).
- Diameter of plant pot is 12cm, height is approximately 35cm.
- Packaging and shipping within the UK mainland.
- Please note that the pinky/purple colour may vary slightly from plant to plant, and from flower to flower.
- If you place an order before 26 February, delivery will be scheduled for 27 or 28 February.
Lazy Flora is a garden-in-a-box delivery service. Click on the image below to get access to our free flowering plants calendar and to join our special list of VIPs who get early access to all our products as soon as they're launched.