WANTED freelance gardener and plant packager – flexible, work from home
Lazy Flora is a small business in the Nottingham area. We’re recruiting for a new team member to join our operations on a freelance basis. The right candidate must be able to work alone and as part of a team, as well as use their own initiative.
Jobs will include receiving plant and packaging deliveries, maintaining a small number of plants, including a small amount of repotting, stock keeping, preparation of plants for shipping, packaging plants for transport, and being there to ensure collection by couriers takes place smoothly. Excellent remote communication with other team members will be essential every step of the way.
This contract would be ideal for someone who want to be able to work from home with relatively flexible hours. You will need some secure outdoor and indoor space to store plants, compost and packaging materials.
Work is likely to be for up to one day a week in the first instance. This could increase over time, subject to both parties’ agreement.
An interest in horticulture is important but expertise is not essential. Training will be provided.
We welcome applications from all types of candidates. Enthusiasm and reliability are the most important qualities for the person who takes on this contract work.
- Receiving goods from suppliers, including plant wholesalers, packaging and marketing materials.
- Carry out quality control on all goods received and flag issues quickly.
- Maintain plants in optimal conditions until they are due to be packaged up and shipped out so that they reach customers in excellent condition.
- Repotting of plants on ad hoc basis, as needed.
- Careful storage of plants outdoors and packaging indoors on your property.
- Prepare Lazy Flora boxes for delivery, including packaging and labelling individual items as set out in standard operating procedures.
- Carefully package plants and sundries into boxes, ensuring all items are included and carefully packaged, according to instructions and training provided.
- Assemble items carefully within boxes, ensuring plants are extremely well-protected during transit.
- Assist with tracking inventory of plants, sundries and packaging.
- Print out customer address labels.
- Be there at a specified time when to allow courier to collect the boxes for shipping to customers.
- Flag problems as soon as you become aware of them – pre-empt problems where possible.
- Communicate daily with founder, and other contacts as needed.
- As Lazy Flora grows, there may be opportunity for the number of hours to increase.
The ideal candidate
- Above all, we’re looking for someone who has enthusiasm for our business, and who is reliable.
- You have excellent attention to detail, and who will take exceptionally good care when packaging delicate plants into boxes.
- You’re well organized.
- You’re great at communicating, and effective at getting things done with minimal fuss.
- You have absolute customer focus. Every box packaged and sent out should bring joy to our customers.
- You have an interest in and some knowledge of plants or gardening, but you don’t have to be an expert. You will need to be able to identify the different types of plants in order to ensure the correct plants go in the correct boxes, maintain plants in optimal condition for a short period before they go out to customers.
- You have a friendly, caring attitude. At Lazy Flora, we want to work with people who are empathetic, fun to work with, who understand great customer service, and who will go the extra mile to do a great job.
Lazy Flora: what we’re all about
Lazy Flora is a hassle-free container garden delivery service.
We’re looking to change the way busy professionals garden, and we’re bringing nature back to the city.
Hours: part-time, starting at 0.5 days/week
Fee: to be agreed with the successful candidate, subject to experience
To apply for this role Email firstname.lastname@example.org.